PURPOSE OF PRIZE
Are you a 30-or-younger Canadian with a story to tell about the way faith is present in the world around you?
The Thread of 1000 Stories has launched the Golden Thread Contest, which seeks to gather stories from younger Canadians – their stories of faith past, present, and future – to help celebrate our country’s 150th birthday.
Every submission, text or video, to the Golden Thread Contest will be considered for publishing on our Thread of 1000 Stories website. Additionally, winners will be chosen for prizes of up to $5000.
What kind of story are we looking for? Your story. Or the story of your grandparents, your parents, your family and friends. Or the story of someone you’ve just met who’s new to Canada and has brought the richness of his or her faith tradition to add to our diversity.
Faith is an essential part of Canadian life. Understanding faith, in all its varieties, is a vital part of understanding Canada. Your stories will help promote that understanding.
The thread our judges will be looking for in the texts and videos is the role of faith in inspiring Canadians. Or mobilizing Canadians. Or helping Canadians to overcome struggles that afflict them. Or simply letting Canadians live out their daily lives in response to the religious sense that is part of being human.
Why stories on faith? Because we believe, as Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau once said, “Faith is the golden thread that binds all of us together.” The Thread of 1000 Stories is an initiative of the think tank Cardus, home of the Faith in Canada 150 project.
The goal of the Thread is to gather in one place (www.faithincanada150.ca) as many stories about faith in common life as we can during Canada’s 150th birthday year.
The Golden Thread contest is the chance for you, a young Canadian, to add to that store of stories, and maybe come away with a little gold of your own.
There are two age categories for submissions:
- Age 14-18
- $1000 to the winner of the written category
- $1000 to the winner of the video category
- Four $100 gift cards for the runners-up in either text or video
- Age 19-30
- $5000 to the overall winner of either a text or video story
- Four $250 gift cards for the runners-up in text or video
- All publishable submissions will be added to our Thread of 1000 Stories initiative
- Winners will be notified in early November and announced on November 6, 2017. Our judges’ decisions are final
- All submissions must be made by residents of Canada
- Deadline for submissions is September 25, 2017
- Submissions must be sent to email@example.com
- Texts or videos must be original unpublished work created by the person making the submission
- All work becomes the property of Cardus, Faith in Canada 150, and the Thread of 1000 Stories. Re-publication must credit Cardus, Faith in Canada 150 and the Thread of 1000 Stories
- Judges’ decisions are final
- Texts should be no more than 1200 words. Videos should be no more than three minutes. Submissions that exceed these limits will not be considered for prizes.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, and while all have the potential to be published, only one will be selected for judging.
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org